As a provider of senior home care services in Seabrook, Texas we have had experiences with patients suffering from depression and dementia.
Depression and dementia are both conditions that occur in elderly patients, but they are not a regular part of aging. These two may have similar symptoms and make it hard to distinguish and treat. Here are some differences between the two according to Psycom.net:
A mood disorder that affects how one feels, thinks, and handles daily activities such as sleeping, eating, and working
- Mental decline is rapid.
- Patient notices difficulty concentrating, have memory problems, and experience confusion.
- Slowed language and motor skills.
- Still able to state the correct date, time, and location.
A general term for diseases that show a decline in memory, language, problem-solving, and other thinking skills
- Mental decline is slow.
- Patients don’t notice or care about memory problems.
- Writing, speaking, and language skills are impaired.
- Confused, disoriented, confuse dates, and don’t know where they are.
It is important to know the difference between the two to give patients proper diagnosis and treatment.
Caring for a senior with depression or dementia? We know it is not easy. We at Heartful Senior Care LLC can help you. We are a provider of home care assistance in Houston, Texas giving quality services such as medication reminders, assistance with walking, companion care, bathing and dressing assistance, meal preparation, and others.
In need of more hands-on care? Other than senior care services in Houston, Texas we also provide respite care, 24-hour care, and flexibly hourly care.